1. A feeling of uncontrollable anxiety when you encounter the source of your fear
2. The feeling that you must do everything possible to avoid what you fear
3. The inability to function normally because of your anxiety
4. Often, the knowledge that your fears are unreasonable or exaggerated, but feeling powerless to control them
5. Physical as well as psychological reactions, including sweating, rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing &chest tightness, a feeling of panic and intense anxiety
6. In some cases, anxiety just thinking about what you fear
Here are some rather "weird" phobias (this is from a medical source): Amathophobia (Fear of dust), Brontophobia (Fear of thunder), Eurotophobia (Fear of female genitals- males will love this one!), Spargarophobia (Fear of asparagus!), Triskaidekaphobia (Fear of all things associated with the number thirteen), & last but not least, Phobophobia (Fear of having fears or developing a phobia)!!